Sunday, February 22, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Easy Peasy Pico de Gallo

pico de gallo


Folks:  Pico de gallo is so easy to make, it's almost illegal to buy it pre-made from the grocery store.  Seriously.  The few minutes you take to buy the fresh produce and chop the veggies yourself are paid back to you in fresh burst of flavor cool and spicy flavor.  I love pico de gallo.  

As per usual, there is a back story to this simple little recipe.  You see when I was in college, I spent my summers on South Padre Island, Texas hanging out with my my friends on the beach and working in a Tex-Mex restaurant on the island.  I have some great memories of those summers.  One of the best decisions I ever made.  On the other hand, I wish I could say that this restaurant, in the words of Guy Fieri, took me to "Flavortown."  But it most certainly did not.  Most of the food was frozen and flavorless.  Beyond the poor food quality, slinging the same food day in and day out just makes it less desirable to eat.  

Most of the kitchen staff was Mexican.  Many of these folks worked multiple jobs to send money home to their families to Mexico.  Back then, it was understood that they were being paid below minimum wage under the table.  I heard some tough stories.  But I also had so much fun with them, listening to Banda on the radio while working. 

When I needed to take an order out to a table, I'd call "pan de ajo" and they'd give me some pieces of buttered garlic bread to top off my plate.  I used to love watching the prep cooks make pico de gallo because it was so delicious there.  That was one thing that was made fresh there.  Anyway, after watching it done so much--I just figured out how to make it, but on a much smaller scale.  They used to make huge batches.  And so, those are the origins of this yummy recipe.  Hope you all enjoy!  
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pico de Gallo
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 5 TO 10 MINUTES
COOK: 0
This is a recipe for pico de gallo.


Ingredients
  • 4 to 5 diced and seeded tomatoes (I use roma or tomatoes on the vine)
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoons of cilantro, finely chopped
  • juice of 1/2 a lime
  • salt to taste
Instructions
  • This recipe is so easy its barely a recipe.
  • Just chop and mince all the ingredients as listed and mix together. Add salt to your liking. You may find that you want to adjust the amount of lime as well, adding more or less.
  • Top on tacos or use as a based for quacamole.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment