Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Slow Cooker Pork Barbacoa




Paleo pork barbacoa tacos
Yummy tacos!


This recipe is oh-so delicious!  I made it for Super Bowl Sunday and had to share.  I adapted it from Eating for Idiots Barbacoa Recipe.  If you are missing those regular trips to Chipotle since you've gone Paleo:  Fear not.But before I go into the whole recipe situation here--I have a little story to tell you about these tacos--the very tacos you see right before your eyes.  You see, a new Paleo app was launched recently called, myPaleoPal.  Apparently, it's not available to the public yet, but the Paleo Mom had an invite code.  That means I get to join the cool kids in trying it out.  This morning, I woke up early to take photos of these tacos because of the good lighting, and I just decided to eat them for breakfast.  Right.  That was the practical thing to do.  Right?!  Anyway, on myPaleoPal, you post pics of your meals and members of the community have to approve them as being "Paleo."  After I posted a pic on the app of my tacos this morning, Adrien Grenier started following me on the app.  You know, the hot Entourage guy!?!  And he was my first follower. Needless to say, I was super stoked this morning.  These tacos have good Adrien-Grenier-thumb's-up juju.  

Now onto the recipe.  There's really not a whole lot to say about it. You just throw a whole bunch of ingredients in a food processor, mix it up, and let it go.  Yum.  


And that's what it looks like all processed!



Pork in the slow cooker with the broth.  


And this is what it looks like with the spicy mixture on top.  

Put the slow cooker cover on and let it go for 8 to 10 hours and enjoy yummy heaven.  I like to make this with Paleo Newbie Paleo Tortillas.  These are my favorite tortillas that I've tried so far for a number of reasons.  They are flexible, like a normal wheat flour tortilla.  The recipe does not use nuts, which I appreciate.  I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I am sensitive to almonds, and especially almond flour.  And last but not least, it is very easy to make.  I love that this recipe does not over-complicate making tortillas.  Yay!


barbacoa tacos


Other views of these delicious tacos.  I hope you all enjoy the recipe that follows.  


Paleo barbacoa


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paleo Pork Barbacoa Tacos
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 20 MINUTES
COOK: LOW FOR 10 HOURS
This is recipe for Paleo and Primal Pork Barbacoa Tacos.
Ingredients
  • 2 to 3 pounds pork tenderloin
  • 2 dried guajillo chilies, rehydrated
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 cup packed cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 cup of lime juice
  • 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
  • 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 tbsp sea salt
  • black pepper to taste
  • 2 bay leaves
Instructions
  • Put the pork tenderloin in the slow cooker on low.
  • Add all the ingredients, except for the broth and the bay leaves to a food process and process until smooth.
  • Put the bay leaves on the pork.
  • Pour the mixture onto the top of the pork.
  • Add the broth so that it comes up the sides of the slow cooker but doesn't cover the meat.
  • Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (which I recommend) or high for 4 to 5 hours.
  • When the meat is done cooking, remove from the slow cooker. Use two forks to shred the meat.
  • Serve with Paleo tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment