Monday, March 30, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Black Sapote (aka Chocolate Pudding Fruit) Pudding

Black Sapote (aka Chocolate Pudding Fruit) Pudding
I have been on the hunt for Black Sapote, also known as “Chocolate Pudding Fruit” for so long.  I finally got to try it for the first time AND I created a quick little recipe for maximum pudding fruit enjoyment.  Yum!

 My obsession with Black Sapote started when I was “cleansing” a couple years ago.  You see, I had convinced myself that in order to overcome my dietary challenges (read:  I love chocolate and coffee—and those were not cleanse-approved), I needed to find suitable substitutes to turn to when a craving arose.  There are plenty of herbal coffee substitutes out there.  But what does one do when you can’t have chocolate? 

The choco-addict that I am, I started googling “chocolate substitute.”  That’s when I happened upon the “Chocolate Pudding Fruit.”

The Chocolate Pudding Fruit or Black Sapote comes from Mexico and Central America.  The outside of the fruit itself looks like a green tomato.  See the pictures below.  The inside of the fruit is black and custard-like.   It’s only available during the winter months, normally December to April.  My understanding is that it’s only grown in limited areas in Florida here in the US, which makes this special little fruit a little hard to come by.  I ordered it online and had to wait two months for it to arrive.  But it was well worth the wait.


Black Sapote
Aren't they gorgeous?!

Chocolate Pudding Fruit

This fruit is smooth and delicious and you really don’t need to do too much to do to enjoy it.  So, I have created a simple recipe to share with you all:  Black Sapote Pudding.  With just a few ingredients, you’ll be enjoying some nourishing, chocolate-y goodness in no time.  Hope you all enjoy!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Sapote (aka Chocolate Pudding Fruit) Pudding
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 10
This is a recipe for Black Sapote (aka Chocolate Pudding Fruit) Pudding.
Ingredients
  • 3 medium ripe black sapotes
  • 1/2 medium avocado
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
  • dash cinnamon
  • dash sea salt
Instructions
  • Cut the sapote into 4 sections. Using hands, remove green skin. Remaining is the dark flesh. Remove the small seeds with your fingers. Place the remaining pulp into a food processor.
  • Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth.
  • Can be served immediately or after chilling.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment