Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce


Have you got a bunch of leftover apples and not sure what to do with them?  Well, look no further folks, I've got the recipe for you...

I'm an over-buyer when it comes to food shopping.  Why?  Because I'm scared of running out of supplies to cook my own food over the work week.  There.  Now that I've admitted that I have a problem...

I also hate wasting food. There are so many people in this world who could use the food we throw out every day.  People who are poor or starving or whatever.  I get it.  This isn't a new concept, but I suppose making a serious effort not to toss out food thoughtlessly is my way of appreciating and honoring what I've been given in my own life.    

So, when anything sits in the fridge and I don't have a plan for it--it stresses me out.  But I also find that that's when I get my most creative--finding ways to use leftovers or things I purchased not already used for their intended purpose.  

And that's how this little applesauce recipe was born.  I had a bag of apples sitting in my fridge for a couple weeks.  I thought I'd breeze right through them, but that did not come to pass.  I could not bear the thought of tossing nearly the entire bag. Then---brilliant stroke of genius.  Applesauce. Which was quickly deflated.  Wait.  You have to to peel and core apples, don't you, to make applesauce.  Guess what--you don't!  

If I had to peel all these apples, folks, there's no way this recipe would have ever come to fruition. I'm not a lazy cook.  I'm just a person who is short on time driven by the desire to make something delicious with unused apples.  

That's the genius of this recipe.  You don't need to peel the apples!  You must core them, yes, but throw them in the crock pot, peel and all.  And it's just oh-so-tasty.  Seriously folks, there's no reason to buy store bought apple sauce again, EVER.  

Happy Munching, 
<3 Jamie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 6 TO 8 HOURS
Keywords: slow cooker crock pot appetizer breakfast dessert side snack gluten-free ancestral nut-free paleo primal soy-free vegan vegetarian Halloween Thanksgiving applesauce American fall
This is a recipe for Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce, paleo-style.
Ingredients
  • 6 to 10 apples
  • 1-2 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
  • dash of sea salt
More Like This
Instructions
  • Chop and core apples, but leave the skin on.
  • Place apples in food processor with 1/2 cup of water, blend until smooth. Continue adding additional water in 1/2 cup increments if necessary.
  • Place pureed apples in slow cooker and turn the slow cooker on low.
  • Add the remaining ingredients (cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt) and mix well.
  • Cook in the slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours, or until done to your liking.
  • Enjoy hot or chilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment