Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Mussels in a Thai Style Broth

Mussels in a Thai Style Broth
The inspiration for this dish came from a restaurant that my boyfriend and I frequent. Sound like a familiar theme?  Haha. Yep.  I love trying new things and then trying to recreate them at home.  Anyway, this restaurant serves the best mussels in a coconut milk and lemongrass broth. So, yummy!  So, I thought I'd give it a go at home.  

Sorry about the photo, folks.  But I really wanted to share this recipe and this was the best I could do while trying to feed a very hungry boyfriend who is fasting for Ramadan.  <3  

As I was saying, the inspiration for this recipe came from a restaurant that makes mussels in a coconut lemongrass broth, and I can never get enough of them.  I wanted to try to make my own to (1) save myself the expense; and (2) so I could be sure I wasn't eating any junk when I enjoy them.  The other part of the inspiration for this recipe came from my trip to Paris.  There we had mussels and french fries, or moules frites.  Oh so good.  I wanted to do an Asian take on this combo so I set out to create mussels in an thai-type broth with roasted taro root and a sriracha aioli dipping sauce.  I don't yet have a recipe for the roasted taro root and sriracha aioli--but that should be coming soon!  


A little bit of information about the recipe:  it's quick and easy to make.  Don't be daunted by the fact that its mussels.  The ingredients aren't too complicated.  Probably the only one that might be an issue is the kaffir lime leaves, which can be substituted with bay leaves and some lime juice. Oh, and it's delicious.  


Mussels are an excellent source of iron and protein.   In fact, my need for more protein (because I'm lifting weights) and iron (because I seem to have a hard time getting enough every day), largely drove my decision to make this recipe.   Also, and of course, this recipe is totally Paleo-friendly.  For example, if the butter doesn't work for you--just substitute it with all coconut oil or whatever Paleo-friendly fat you prefer.  


I am so pleased with this recipe and I hope you are too.  Hope you all enjoy!  <3 --Jamie

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mussels in a Thai-Style Broth
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 15-25 MINUTES
Keywords: saute steam appetizer entree ancestral gluten-free nut-free paleo primal sugar-free Mussels coconut milk ginger kaffir lime Christmas Easter birthday comfort food Thai fall spring summer winter
This is a recipe for Mussels in a Thai-style broth.


Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter (grassfed is best)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 minced shallot
  • 1 minced lemongrass stalk
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
  • 2 Kaffir lime leaves
  • 4 minced thai chilies
  • 1.5 pounds of mussels, cleaned
  • minced green onion for garnish
  • minced cilantro for garnish
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • fish sauce to taste
  • lime wedges, for squeezing into broth when cooked
More Like This
Instructions
  • Heat a pot over medium heat for a minute or two.
  • Add butter and coconut oil.
  • When the butter and coconut oil have melted, add ginger, shallot, lemongrass, and garlic. Saute for a minute or two, until they become fragrant and soften.
  • Then add, the coconut milk, chicken broth, kaffir lime leaves, thai chilies, salt and pepper, and fish sauce.
  • Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce to a simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, until broth is reduced about 25% to 50%.
  • Turn heat up again to medium high and bring to a boil. Add the mussels. Cover the pot and steam for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mussels have opened and are cooked.
  • Add additional fish sauce and/or salt to taste.
  • Portion into bowels and garnish with cilantro, green onion, and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment