Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Jamie's Thoughts: Paleo Shaming

So, first of all, if you are reading this post, welcome to my blog!  As of the date that I write this, April 29, 2014, no one has commented on my blog.  You see, that's probably because I have done nothing to promote it.  I haven't even told my friends about it or announced it on Facebook, or even shown it to my boyfriend, even though he features prominently on the About Me page.  Oops.  I want to build up the content before I really start actively promoting it.  But if you happen to stumble across my little piece of internet real estate, I'd love it if you left a comment.  I'm so interested in learning about what other people are experiencing on Paleo:  How did you come to find it; How do you integrate it into your everyday life (I still haven't mastered social situations yet!);  Does your family embrace it?  Those types of things.  I want this blog to be about more than just food.  I want it to be about the Paleo lifestyle and all that encompasses it.

That being said--I want to take a moment to talk about what I call:  "Paleo shaming."  I don't view Paleo as a rigid diet to be followed so strictly.  I view it as a starting point.  It's fluid.  You add and subtract foods as they work for you.  Not everyone is the same.  But some people, the know-it-alls, like to post nasty comments for whatever reason.  It detracts from the positive energy of sharing, in my opinion.  You know the type I mean:  the ones who remind us that no cheese whatsoever is allowed on Paleo, or the ones who scold us for eating Paleo treats, proclaiming us all sugar addicts, or the ones who despite disclaimers and asides about purchasing sustainable products, still like to tout their knowledge about the dangers of palm shortening. 

I come across examples on a daily basis.  Today, I was particularly appalled when I read a review of Danielle Walker's Book, Against All Grain.  This is a fabulous book.  But one particular reviewer was arguing that there were too many nut-based recipes.  And we should all know better.  And then she proceeded to "educate" us about what the Paleo diet really should be.  Yikes.  Varying viewpoints are always interesting and helpful to take into consideration.  But, I think we are well aware of "moderation," the need to limit consumption of Paleo treats, and of all those maxims included in the vast array of Paleo information available on the internet.

Folks.  Seriously.  I think we can all agree on no grains, no dairy, no refined sugar.  Yea, we have some differences here and there.  Some people drink raw milk and eat cheese.  Ultimately the Paleo diet will be different for everyone--because our bodies are all different!  But fundamentally, we agree on the big things.  So, let's spend more time talking about what we have in common, rather then picking others apart.  




No comments:

Post a Comment