Sunday, April 6, 2014

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Creamy Herbed Paleo Scrambled Eggs



Creamy Herbed Paleo Scrambled Eggs

I have always loved eggs for breakfast--well eggs and potatoes.  My boyfriend says that I'm a "country girl." I guess because culinarily, I always seem to gravitate towards heartier comfort foods, like eggs and home fries, chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy (drooling)...and the list goes on.

As a bona-fide country girl I can tell you that there is no better way to make scrambled eggs than with heavy cream and herbs. This issue isn't subject to debate.  Hands down, better scrambled eggs cannot be made without heavy cream.  Through out the years, I've tried a number of different methods--adding water, adding milk, adding nothing at all but cooking on very low heat, even adding cream cheese.  But invariably, nothing produces a fluffier, more creamy scrambled egg.   

When I started the Paleo diet, I thought for sure my velvety, heavy-cream laden eggs were a thing of the past.  But after a little bit of experimentation, I created a fabulous replica using coconut cream.  Heavy cream no more, folks!  Now, I know that coconut products of all sorts--flour, oil, flakes, and others are popular in many Paleo recipes.  But for me, I find that when substituting coconut oil and other coconut products in recipes that the coconut flavor really overpowers the taste of main ingredients.  I hate that.  But no so here. The coconut flavor is subtle and highlights the eggs, rather than overpowering them.  

In this recipe, I used chives for the herbs, but I also like cilantro or even dill and smoked salmon works too!  
Get creative or use whatever you have in your fridge.  The possibilities are endless.  

Hope you all enjoy!  

Creamy Herbed Paleo Scrambled Eggs
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 5
COOK: 3
Ingredients
  • 2 T coconut cream
  • 1 T chives, chopped
  • 1/2 T butter, grassfed (or ghee or whatever oil you choose)
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Serve with
  • grain-free bread, avocado, or sides of your choice
Instructions
  • Heat the frying pan on medium heat.
  • Place eggs and coconut cream* in a bowl and whisk together.
  • Whisk in the salt and pepper. I prefer to add some salt to the egg mixture and a little when it's done cooking.
  • Put the butter in the frying pan and wait for it to melt.
  • When the frying pan is hot, add the egg/coconut cream mixture to the pan.
  • Use a wooden spoon or spatula to scramble the eggs. Keep the eggs moving. You want to prevent them from overcooking, so that they maintain a creamy, gooey texture. (At least that's the way I prefer them--I hate overcooked eggs!)
  • When the eggs are gooey but appear to be almost done, add most of the chopped chives but reserve some for garnish.
  • Mix in the chives until the eggs are still gooey but cooked.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Now go enjoy those yummy, fluffy eggs!
  • **Many people tell you to put coconut milk in the refrigerator the night before to make sure the cream separates. But I don't usually find this step necessary, if you are in a pinch. It's usually already separated.

No comments:

Post a Comment