Monday, December 21, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Sweet and Salty Plantain Bark




I have a love-hate relationship with this recipe.  It is probably one of the yummiest things I've ever made.  Seriously.  But the problem is--I can't eat just one piece!  I keep going back for more.  This stuff is dangerous.  My boyfriend and I keep calling it Paleo crack.  Read further only if you dare...

I have a confession to make.  You see, I tend to buy my boyfriend treats that I want to--but won't eat--because they're not Paleo.  This very thing happened a few weeks ago, snapping up some chocolate-covered pretzel bites at the TJ Maxx register under the guise that I wanted to do something nice for him.  And he was appreciative! However, when the gluten-filled treats were laying around the apartment, opened but unfinished, I couldn't resist the temptation to try one.  Of course, I wanted more than just one bite. Fortunately, that's when the thought occurred to me to create my own Paleo-friendly sweet, salty, and starchy treat that would satisfy such a craving.  

That little glimmer of inspiration led me to start thinking about a Southern recipe I had heard of made with saltine crackers, toffee, and chocolate. I wanted to try that with a Paleo-friendly type product.  Immediately, plantain chips came to mind.  Now, you wouldn't believe just how well plantain chips pair with chocolate chips and toffee. Plantain chips:  not just for salsa anymore!  

As usual, this recipe is so easy to make.  It makes a great holiday gift.  I've given it to many friends who seem to have genuinely enjoyed it, and even taken it to holiday parties where I've been told by some non-Paleo-ers that is was their favorite dessert on the party table.  Woohoo!  It's the perfect Paleo-friendly treat for any special occasion, but it seems most appropriate for the holidays since it's so decadent.

Hope you all enjoy!  <3 --J

P.S. Plantain bark is the working title of this recipe.  If you have any name ideas that reflect just how good this stuff tastes, let me know!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet and Salty Plantain Bark
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 5 MINUTES
Keywords: bake snack dessert gluten-free nut-free paleo primal soy-free vegetarian plantain chips chocolate chips butter coconut sugar Christmas Cinco de Mayo Easter Halloween Hanukkah comfort food American fall spring summer winter
This is a recipe for Sweet and Salty Plantain Bark.


Ingredients
  • 60-80 plantain chips or about half of a six ounce bag
  • 1/2 cup of grassfed butter
  • 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
  • 3/4 cup of enjoy life mini chocolate chips
More Like This
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • While the oven is preheating, line a regular-sized pizza pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  • Lay the plantain chips out flat on the pizza pan/cookie sheet.
  • In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and the coconut sugar, whisking together until bubbling (about 2 to 3 minutes).
  • Quickly pour the butter/coconut sugar mixture (toffee) over the plantain chips, being sure to cover all of the plantain chips as evenly as possible. You must quickly pour the toffee over the plantain chips because it hardens.
  • Next sprinkle the chocolate chips over the plantain chips, trying to cover as evenly as possible.
  • Bake for about 5 minutes in the oven, the toffee should begin to bubble and the chocolate chips melt onto the chips.
  • Take out of the oven, and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
  • Break apart and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment