Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Paleo Recipe Review: Eating for Idiots Barbacoa

As usual, it's been a busy week and any recipe that can be done in the slow cooker is always a winner.  Eating for Idiots Barbacoa is one of my go to recipes.  It's fast, easy, and packs a ton of flavor in each bite.  FABULOUS recipe.  Plus, it helps satisfy that craving for Mexican I miss so much.

The first part of the recipe is quite easy:  just put all the ingredients in a food processor.  You end up with something that looks like the photo below.  It's a salsa-like consistency and if you have a little taste--it's a flavor bomb in your mouth.  I could stop right here dipping plantain chips in this little mixture and be completely content.  

Beginning to cook the barbacoa in the crockpot.


So, just throw it all in the crock pot--the beef, barbacoa mixture, a little beef stock and some bay leaves and let it go on low for 8 to 10 hours.  The recipe calls for brisket, but I was in a hurry and I just got chuck instead.  It still works out just fine.  

Finished cooking the barbacoa.

After about 8 to 10 hours on low, you just take two forks and the beef just falls apart.  So, delicious.  Eating for idiots suggests you serve it with jicama sliced on a mandolin in place of a taco shell.  When i'm in a hurry over the week day, I often just eat this over some greens.  

My dinner tonight.  

As you can see, this is my finished product. I added a little bit of Paleo "sour cream" which is coconut cream with some lemon juice mixed in to taste and some salt (and I put a tiny bit of olive oil in just to smooth it out).

The changes that I made to this recipe are that I used chuck roast instead of brisket.  I ditched the cloves in the recipe because I loathe them.  I used a Paleo sour cream and rather than putting it in taco shells-I just put it over some greens.  It was still wonderful.  I highly recommend this recipe.  



No comments:

Post a Comment