Friday, April 8, 2016

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Duck Fat and Garlic Sauteed Kale

Duck Fat and Garlic Sauteed Kale


I have a confession to make.  I know kale is having a moment right now and everyone loves it, but I just don't enjoy it.  That's exactly why i'm the perfect person to share a new kale recipe with you. I know how to make it tasty.  

I am a firm believer that any vegetable can be made to taste delicious.  It's all in the preparation. Except for beets.  Beets are the devil...  But I digress, yes, any vegetable can be made into something delicious.  (Except beets, haha).  

Kale is just one of those things I never got into.  It has a distinctive flavor.  It 's earthiness can definitely overpower the flavor of a dish.  And it's tough and the edges are coarse.  To me, it just screams "don't eat me."  But the health benefits of eating a nutrient-packed powerhouse leafy green like kale cannot be ignored.  And they especially can't be ignored when they show up in my Imperfect Produce box for the week.  Oops.   

So, I set to work to make the kale into something I actually wanted to eat.  This meant adding tons of flavor through duck fat, chicken broth, lots of garlic, and fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.  

And boy is it yummy.  With this simple, fast, and flavorful recipe, there is no reason kale should ever go bad in your fridge (as it has in mine before).  Whip up this sauteed kale real quick on a weeknight for a nutritious side.  

Hope you all enjoy this recipe--oh and go out and buy some duck fat for roasting and sauteeing veggies.  You'll thank me!  --J


Duck Fat and Garlic Sauteed Kale


by Jamie Miller
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 to 10 minutes
Keywords: saute side kale duck fat
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
  • 1 bunch of kale, coarsely chopped leaves and stems
  • 2-3 tablespoons of duck fat
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced finely
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth
  • salt and pepper
  • splash of apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
Instructions

Heat medium sized saute pan over medium heat.

When the pan is hot, add the duck fat.

When the duck fat is heated and can coat the bottom of the pan, add the garlic.

Saute about 1 minute while garlic becomes fragrant.

Add the kale and the chicken broth and mix together.

Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.

Remove the cover and cook until the water evaporates 3-5 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Just before serving, add a splash of apple cider vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment