Friday, January 8, 2016

Jamie's Thoughts: New New Year's Resolutions




I'm big on making New Year's resolutions.  To be honest, I don't always keep them though.  You might wonder what's the point of making a resolution then; but for me, there's something about the energy surrounding the beginning of a new year--the hope, the possibility--that keeps me resolute in my resolution making each year.

Last year was no exception.  I almost always make professional goals, health-related goals, fun goals (yea--I make fun-having into a goal, haha), volunteer goals, relationship goals, and the list goes on and on and on.  Like many, for years I've been making the same old resolution to lose weight.  I can't even remember the last year that that wasn't a goal on the list--maybe 2006--but back in my twenties to be sure.

I'm not the kind of person who has tried it all in the weight loss arena either.  Rather, i'm the kind of person who would lose a few pounds (through sensible eating and exercise), get complacent, and go back to my old habits (eat whatever I want and forego exercise).  I never made any permanent changes, dietary or otherwise.  By way of example, in 2013 I lost nearly 10 pounds, but gained it back by the end of the year.  My then-theory was that I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I exercised because my diet was fairly healthy.  Needless to say, that plan did not pan out.  Next, in 2014, I thought I could have a personal trainer and eat whatever I wanted. Yea--that didn't work out either.  See a pattern here?

Even when I first went Paleo, I did not lose weight like you might expect.  Instead, I gained it.  But the reason for this is because I bought into the oft-offered Paleo "wisdom" to throw away the scale and let your body tell you when you are hungry. Turns out my body likes food--a lot.  Oops. Maybe a little too much.

But back to New Year's resolutions.  I started out 2015 weighing more than I ever had.  And I made the same old resolution:  to lose about 10-20 pounds to get to my goal weight.  Truth be told, I didn't even know how much I wanted to lose because I hadn't weighed myself in over a year. But my pants were tighter than ever. I did not feel good in body.  If my boyfriend entered a room when I was changing, I'd cover up quickly.  I felt embarrassed and ashamed of how I had let myself go and hadn't taken care of myself.

But something really amazing happened to me at the beginning of 2015. I joined a 6-week boot camp at Alameda Beach Body.  And I went.  I didn't drop out.  And then, I kept going, even after the 6 weeks was over.  And slowly but surely, the weight started coming off.  I lost over 20 pounds, and I was and am so very proud of myself!


Me in January 2015 versus November 2015.  22 pounds gone.



Me in November 2015, after the last boot camp challenge of the year.  I suck at taking selfies, just so you know.

Last year was a transformative year for me. There's no doubt about that.  But this year, when I started to make my new year's resolutions, I realized that this is the first year in a decade that weight loss will not be on that resolution list. What?!  I can hardly even believe it.

Recognizing that weight loss was not a necessary goal for 2016 was huge for me.  It frees up so much space and energy for other endeavors.  I can focus on other things. Sure, I will still have fitness-related goals, and i'm working on figuring out exactly what those things will be.  But I feel satisfied in body.  I feel healthy and energetic. And i'm no longer rushing to cover myself up when my boyfriend walks in on me changing. Victory!

I'm still working on detailing my 2016 goals. I like to swim around in my brain and develop them and make a year-long specific plan.  I'm thinking I'd like to start a law-related podcast, do a flash mob, and maintain this blog as an outlet for my creativity.  I can't wait to see what's in store in 2016.  

Happy New Year--Wishing you all a happy, healthy 2016.  

--J

No comments:

Post a Comment