Friday, January 22, 2016

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: World's Best Mashed Potatoes

Comfort food at its finest.
Anyone who knows me well knows that mashed potatoes are my favorite food.  Sometimes I'm embarrassed by this admission.  I feel like I should say something more sophisticated like lobster or beef wellington or whatever.  But nope.  It's mashed potatoes.


To me, mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food; like a warm hug on a cold, winter day.  As a teen long before I discovered my love of cooking, I used to make mashed potatoes from boxed, dehydrated flakes.  *Gasp*  Even worse, I used to drench them with spray butter. *Double Gasp* Thankfully, my hobbies and my tastes have evolved over time.  

I've been working to really perfect my mashed potato game.  Researching methods.  Testing variations.  And I think I've finally achieved mashed potato nirvana, thanks in part to the new potato ricer I added to my culinary toolbox.  This invention is absolutely essential to create mashed potato perfection.  My boyfriend told me it looked like some type of medieval torture device for potatoes.   I laughed, but well it's kind of true because you place the potatoes in the ricer and smoosh (technical culinary term here) them into fluffy, pillowy potato bits.  This prevents the starches in the potatoes from becoming gluey and displeasing in texture.  


Potato Ricer:  God's Gift to Mashed Potato Lovers Everywhere
Aside from the technique (the using ricer and boiling the potatoes whole), the "secret" to these potatoes is lots of butter, heavy cream, and the chicken broth adds a whole other dimension of flavor.  Make sure to add plenty of salt and pepper to taste.  Under salting is a crime to food in my humble opinion. Anyway, this isn't a one pot, super simple recipe. If you love mashed potatoes and you are willing to spend the time perfecting them, then this is the recipe for you.  

Hope you all enjoy!  --J  


World's Best Mashed Potatoes

by Jamie Miller
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Coo

k Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Keywords: blender side ancestral gluten-free nut-free paleo primal soy-free potatoes heavy cream grassfed butter chicken broth comfort food Christmas Easter Thanksgiving American French fall summer
Ingredients (8 to 10 servings)
  • 4 pounds of yukon gold potatoes
  • 1 cup grassfed heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup of grassfed butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
  • salt
  • pepper
Instructions
Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to about 1 inch over potatoes.
Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until soft and you can poke through with a fork or knife.
Run the potatoes through a potato ricer into a large bowl, removing skins.
Heat chicken stock, cream, and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and liquid is heated through.
Using a hand mixer, slowly pour about 1/3 of the cream/butter/stock mixture into the potatoes. Mix. Add more, alternating between adding mixture and mixing, until fully incorporated and smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
The potatoes should be warm, but if needed, heat on low heat, stirring regularly (to be sure the bottom doesn't burn) until heated to desired temperature.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment