Friday, March 18, 2016

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Cilantro Pesto



In keeping with my healthy recipe theme, I have a new veggie recipe for you today--one of my most favorite ever:  Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Cilantro Pesto.  

I almost hate to admit it, but this recipe was a happy accident.  You see, I got these carrots from the veggie delivery service I like to use, Imperfect Produce.  This week, they delivered some rainbow carrots.  You might be surprised to learn this, but i' not the biggest fan of like carrots.  But when I saw these beauties, I knew I had to do something special with them.  

I also wanted the recipe to be simple, so I thought I'd roast them.  When you have good produce, you really don't need to do too much to it to make it taste delicious.   So, how did I reconcile my desire to do something special with these carrots but keep it simple at the same time?  I covered them in a flavorful cilantro pesto sauce.  The carrots and cilantro pesto compliment each other so deliciously, I surprised myself when I first tried it out!  I ran over to my boyfriend with a piping-hot carrot on the end of my fork and forced him to try it while he was playing guitar.  He is a great taste-tester, by the way.  "Wow, what is that!?" was his response.  

Fortunately, I already had the cilantro pesto on hand.  I'd made it a couple days earlier because I had lots of leftover cilantro I didn't want to go bad. When I think it about the randomness that brought this recipe about--some mangled rainbow carrots in my produce box not good enough to sell at the grocery store (but definitely good enough for my tummy and this blog) and a bunch of leftover cilantro I didn't want to waste--I feel really lucky.  Yep.  The circumstances that led to this recipe's creation were a stroke a good luck. 

As usual, this recipe doesn't have a ton of ingredients and is very easy to make.  Hope you all enjoy!

--J

Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Cilantro Pesto

by Jamie Miller
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-35 minutes
Keywords: bake roast blender appetizer side ancestral gluten-free paleo primal soy-free vegan vegetarian rainbow carrots carrots American fall spring summer winter
Ingredients
    For the Carrots
    • 1 bunch of rainbow carrots
    • olive oil for roasting (or other fat of choice)
    • salt
    • pepper
    For the Cilantro Pesto
    • 2 cups of cilantro (leaves and stems)
    • 1/2 cup of walnuts, cashews, pecans or nut of choice
    • 3-4 cloves of garlic
    • 1/2 cup olive oil
    • salt and pepper to taste
    Instructions

    Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

    Peel carrots.

    Coat in oil and generously salt and pepper.

    Lay out flat on a roasting pan and roast for 20 to 35 minutes (depending on thickness of carrots), turning halfway through. Roast until still firm but tender enough to put a fork through.

    While carrots are roasting, put the pesto ingredients into a food processor, and process until combined.

    When the carrots are finished roasting, pull out of the oven and toss in a tablespoon or two of the cilantro pesto.

    There will be leftover cilantro pesto that can be used to add flavor to soups or meats.

    Hope you enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment