Monday, August 3, 2015

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Basic Roasted Spaghetti Squash

Roasted Spaghetti Squash

This really isn't a recipe.  It's more of like a "how to" cook something, you know?  But as I begin to build recipes using the basics, having these instructions down is kinda necessary.  Seems a little unfair for me to assume you all just know how to roast up a spaghetti squash.  I know I didn't before I started Paleo.  

Funny little story about spaghetti squash.  I made it for the first time many years ago, before I really started cooking.  Back then, I was a terrible cook, just out of undergrad.  I followed the directions exactly, however, I totally under-cooked it.  As I ate the stiff spaghetti squash, I thought to myself, "why are people so in love with this stuff?"  Haha.  Oops.  


Just cut spaghetti squash with the seeds scooped out.

Well, fast forward about 13 years later, and voila. I've become a pro at making spaghetti squash, if I do say so myself.  Spaghetti squash is very low calorie, quite filling, and extremely versatile.  Lots of people use it for the obvious spaghetti substitute.  It's kind of amazing how used to having spaghetti squash in lieu of actual spaghetti I've become.  I don't even really miss it.  But I use spaghetti squash for so much more, I even like to put over easy eggs on it and sop up the yolk with the spaghetti squash.  Yum.  Okay.  This post is making me hungry.  


Spaghetti squash seasoned with salt and pepper and brushed with olive oil.

Spaghetti squash face down on the baking sheet.


Just out of the oven.  Mmmmm.
Anyway, hope this helps anyone who needs some help with figuring out spaghetti squash.  It's really easy once you get the hang of it.  Hope you all enjoy!  ---J
---------------------------------------------------
Basic Roasted Spaghetti Squash
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 5 MINUTES
COOK: 45-55 MINUTES
Keywords: bake roast side entree ancestral gluten-free nut-free paleo primal soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian Spaghetti Squash American
This is a recipe for roasted spaghetti squash.
Ingredients
  • 1 whole spaghetti squash
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper
More Like This
Instructions
  • Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Microwave the squash on high for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the spaghetti squash, to make cutting in half easier. Start with two minutes and microwave only until it is just softened enough to cut through.
  • Cut in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp.
  • Season the inside liberally with salt and pepper, and then brush with olive oil.
  • Place the spaghetti squash face down on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until it has softened enough that you can easily take a fork to the inside of the squash.
  • Scoop out the inside of the squash or serve in its shell and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment