Friday, December 12, 2014

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Hot and Cold Chocolate Pudding


So---it feels like I start out every blog post this way, but this recipe really was supposed to be something else.  I set out to develop a thick and creamy hot chocolate.  But it ended up being a delicious pudding instead!  A yummy mistake!
My intention was to create a hot chocolate recipe to my liking because I broke up with coffee (again!) nearly a month ago. Yeah.  Coffee and I have one of those on again-off again relationships.  While I have never been a serious coffee drinker, I do find that I am sensitive to caffeine.  So far, the results of this coffee-detox have been very positive.  My sleep has improved exponentially.  I feel calmer during the day and less stressed and anxious (quite the feat for an attorney who works in litigation).  But I do miss the warm and creamy cup of comfort in the morning.  And thus, I set out to make a hot chocolate recipe.  And thus, it ended up becoming something else--a pudding, not hot chocolate.  Either way it is oh-so-delicious.  


I call it hot and cold chocolate pudding because the truth is--you can eat it either way.  Hot or cold.  It is just as tasty warm as it is cold.  I prefer to chill it overnight to give the flavors time to meld.  

As a little side note, today is National Hot Cocoa Day.  December 12.  Mark your calendar for next year folks and enjoy this pudding in the meantime!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot and Cold Chocolate Pudding
by Jamie Miller
PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 5-10 MINUTES
Keywords: ancestral paleo primal pudding
This is a recipe for Paleo chocolate pudding.


Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
  • 2 teaspooons water
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 ounce unsweetened dark chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon dairy-free mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life!)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
  • 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
  • cinnamon
For the Garnish
  • cinnamon
  • dairy-free mini chocolate chips
More Like This
Instructions
  • To start, put the arrowroot flour and water in a cup and mix. Then set aside.
  • Put the almond milk in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until boiling, then reduce to a simmer.
  • Add the cocoa power, unsweetened chocolate, and chocolate chips and stir until melted.
  • Add in the vanilla extract, honey, maple syrup, and two dashes of cinnamon and stir until combined.
  • Add in the arrowroot flour and water mixture and still until it thickens. Note that arrowroot flour will not work if the mixture is boiling, so ensure it is not boiling when you add it in.
  • When the mixture thickens, add in the butter until melted and remove from the heat and let cool.
  • You can enjoy the pudding warm or refrigerate overnight (to give time to let the flavors meld).
  • Garnish with coconut whipped cream, cinnamon, and mini chocolate chips.










No comments:

Post a Comment