Thursday, April 24, 2014

Paleo Product Review: Raja's Cup--My Favorite Paleo Coffee Substitute

During law school, I developed a pretty serious coffee addiction.  First, I started off with Starbucks' mochas.  But oh what a slippery slope it is!  Mmm.  So delicious.  I don't profess to be a connoisseur or anything, but like many, Starbucks introduced me to the world of coffee.  From mochas, I started on iced coffees.  Then I pared it down to a tall Pike's "with room."  Everyday.   Without fail.  I was so utterly devoted to my Starbucks addiction that I just could not begin my day without it.  I told myself I was not a caffeine addict, because, you know, "I only have one cup a day."  Little did I realize, that Starbucks coffee is so caffeinated, a tall cup of Starbucks Pike Place is like drinking three cups of regular coffee?!?!  So, even though I *thought* I was drinking one cup, I was consuming the caffeine content of three.  In one little. innocent. inviting. happy. cup of Starbucks coffee.  *sigh*  Yeah.  I still miss it.

By the time I graduated from law school and took the bar exam, I was at my heaviest weight ever.  My energy levels were low.  My body felt terrible.  I felt dehydrated all the time, but didn't really have a desire to drink water.  It was bad.  And so, I put myself on the "cleanse" diet that my holistic practitioner recommended.  It's very similar to the autoimmune Paleo protocol.  This of course, means no caffeine.  I went through about 24-48 hours of headache, brain fog, exhaustion before I come out of it.  The caffeine headache I got was so serious, it felt like a migraine--nausea, sensitivity to light, etc.  But once I got through the 4-5 day detoxification period, I felt amazing.

While I am aware that coffee is not a Paleo no-no--for me it is.  You must know, I do love coffee.  For me, having that nice cup of hot, roasted, bitter, coffee was like meeting up with a friend every morning.  But I know that it contributed to my lack of energy.  I'd much rather get my energy from natural, healthy sources, rather than relying on a stimulant.  And if I'm tired, my body is trying to tell me something.  Maybe I should listen to it.





So, one of the things I've found to help me kick coffee to the curb is Raja's Cup.  But before I tell you about it--let me give you a little disclaimer.  I'm not receiving any sort of compensation for writing this post about Raja's Cup.  Okay.  Back to it.  Raja's Cup, according to the vpk by Maharishi Ayurveda website, is "a precise blend of four potent herbs--Clearing-nut tree, Kasmard, Licorice and Ashagandha.  This time-tested beverage helps promote well-being and vitality."  It is caffeine free, grain free, and all-herbal.  It's Paleo approved!  You can buy grounds or "tea bags."  And it's a wonderful coffee substitute.    

I buy the "tea bags" since I don't have a coffee maker at home.  You just boil a cup of water with the tea bag in it, for about five minutes or so.  I like to add Against All Grain's creamer. Dairy free!  And then I put in the immersion blender to incorporate the coconut oil--otherwise, it just sits on top.  Pour it in a cup.  Then you're all set to enjoy a fabulous, guilt-free, caffeine-free, coffee substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment