Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fagan Eats Paleo Recipe: Easy Weeknight Paleo Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes


Paleo Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes


This recipe is near and dear to my heart but not because it is a culinary masterpiece.  It's because it's the very first thing I taught myself to cook when I first learned about "cleansing" and detoxification in 2006.  I used to tell my coworkers (who were all experienced cooks in their own right) that I would make chicken with only salt, pepper and olive oil on it--and they used to laugh at my "famous" chicken recipe.

Funny thing is--after almost 10 years, the recipe hasn't evolved that much.  I've add a little more seasoning.  But after making this probably 200+ times, it still hits the spot.  If you are new to Paleo, then I recommend you give this recipe a try.  It's super easy.  I was talking to my friend the other day who just started Paleo and we were talking about how we struggle to maintain this diet while working and dealing with the rest of life's responsibilities.  We decided that we spend too much time trying to cook recipes that are suitable replacements for what we would normally be eating off-Paleo.  But the point of Paleo is to eat clean, real, natural food.  In other words, you really shouldn't have to do that much to the food if you are eating the right ingredients.  Simplicity is key on this diet, my friends. Simplicity.

So, the first thing you need to do is slice some sweet potatoes.  I like to use hannah sweet potatoes, the white ones.  I just prefer the taste and texture of these to yams.

I wonder if Bobby Flay approve of these evenly sliced sweet potatoes.  

Then you chop up the onions.  I used leeks this time because it's what I had in the fridge.  But usually I just use a regular, plain old onion.  Your choice, it could be yellow, white, red.  Whatever.

Leeks! Love 'em, but you gotta rinse them off after you chop them.  

Then you put the mixture in a baking dish and toss with salt, pepper, and the fat of your choice.  Spread out flat in a baking dish.


Onion and sweet potato mixture, seasoned and tossed with olive oil.

Then you season the chicken with salt, pepper, seasoning of your choice (I use herbs de Provence) and add a little oil and place in a baking dish.  


Now you place the baking dish in your oven preheated to 400 degrees and let it go for about 40-60 minutes, depending on your oven.

I use my microwave to help me keep track of my baking time.  

Tic tock...tic tock....Here's what the kitties were doing during this 60 minutes....

I woke up Fagan from his nap to take this photo.  Note how he has taken to the leopard print foot rest.  

Broch is a sleepy kitty.  You can't tell from this photo but his eyes were open and
he was giving me a look of disapproval.  <3

60 minutes go by and then voila--you have a lovely roasted chicken with a deliciously crispy chicken skin.  Yum!

Yum finished product.
Hope you all enjoy.  The proper recipe is below!



SERVES
4
Easy Weeknight Paleo Roasted Chicken 
and Sweet Potatoes

by Jamie Miller
PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 40-50 MINUTES
Keywords: paleo Chicken American
Ingredients
  • 4 organic (pasture raised) bone-in chicken thighs
  • 2 small Hannah sweet potatoes (or 1 1/2 medium)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 T olive oil (or ghee/coconut oil/grassfed butter)
  • 1 T herbs de Provence
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth
  • salt and pepper
More Like This
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Slice the sweet potatoes evenly, in medium to thin slices.
  • Chop the onion.
  • Place the sweet potato and the onion into a 9X13 baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add about 1/2 - 1 T of olive oil and toss the mixture to coat evenly. Then spread the sweet potato-onion mixture evenly on the bottom of the dish. The mixture should cover the bottom of the dish. Add a little bit of chicken stock, just enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
  • Now take the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Brush olive oil (or whatever fat you have chosen) on both sides. Then coat with herbs de Provence or seasoning of your choice.
  • Put the seasoned chicken thighs on top of the sweet potato mixture in the baking dish and then roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes.
  • The finished product should produce a crispy chicken skin and delicious sweet potatoes!



No comments:

Post a Comment